Sunday 20 June 2010

Sunday Guilty Pleasure I

I think my blog needs a regular kinda thang. So here's what I got. It's really late Saturday night/Sunday morning. Here it is:

Sunday Guilty Pleasure

As a British gentleman it's no secret that I'm a fan of James Bond. He's the shit. The guilty pleasure here is the theme tune (at least not a David Arnold) by Jack White and Alicia Keys from Quantum of Solace, Another Way To Die.

In the credits it doesn't sit like an Arnold arse scratch to some flash graphics. It's Jack White doing what he does best, coming at you from the other side of the room like a knife. Keys like a gun, "Shoot 'em up, bang, bang."

Over the past year since the film and soundtrack came out, I've found the tune on numerous iPods in numerous places that I've worked. I don't know if it was a free tune on iPods, or the kind of establishment I've worked in (bars/restaurants) are the stationary versions of Mondeo man envisioning himself serving Queen and country. I don't like that possibility.

Jack White can morph into any project and make i sound good. The White Stripes (awesome), The Raconteurs (does what it says on the tin), The Dead Weather (even better). Alicia Keys can give any tune an individual twist, whether she's working with Eminem, Jay-Z or J. White. Any ways, enjoy:



Not So Guilty Pleasure

Last night I headed over to Victoria Park for the Paradise Gardens festival. We arrived in time for the final act of the night. Which doesn't matter cos these guys were as good as a whole night's line up could be. I give you, Movits!



These guys have played on Colbert for fuck's sake. These guys are gonna be huge. Their sound is so fresh on the ears it's like hearing Great Balls of Fire and thinking, 'Yeah, this could go somewhere." Not often am I moved to dance, but I moved it, as the live sax accompanied the Swedish vocals (didn't even notice that) and big band beats, safe in the knowledge that every tune would go somewhere new and exciting. Swedish big band/ska/hip-hop does that.

The energy in the tent was incredible. Literally everyone was dancing in their own particular way and as the band finished their last song, dozens rushed the stage to dance with the band. I reckon you guys know they're going to be huge too.

No comments:

Post a Comment