Tuesday 15 June 2010

My Work Experience



The idea of this post (today's school task) was to talk about where I'd like to go on work experience through Catch-22. But yesterday I had a feedback session with the guys at Catch-22 and they told me where they've put me forward for. So I'm going to talk about them.

Yeah. That's what I thought. I must be doing something right if they think I can hack it at such a prestigious title. But what would a guy like me, get from a publication like The Economist? After a chat with my mentors, we decided: a hell of a lot.

The Economist is one of the most, if not the most revered weekly paper in the world. Since its inception in 1843 it has reported on free trade, globalisation, government spending and intervention around the world. It is unique as a publication in that everything reported is reported by The Economist. There are no bylines. It speaks with a collective voice, which Geoffrey Crowther (editor from 1938-1956) keeps the editor "not the master but the servant of something far greater than himself. You can call that ancestor-worship if you wish, but it gives to the paper an astonishing momentum of thought and principle."

The Economist is half owned by the Financial Times and half owned by independent shareholders, which include members of staff. The editor's independence is guaranteed, as he is appointed by a board of trustees and cannot be removed without their permission.

Despite The Economist catering for a readership of highly intelligent, highly influential people, with high incomes, its circulation is surprisingly high. In 2009 it reported an average of 1.6 million per issue. The UK makes up 14% of this, continental Europe 19% and the USA over 50%. It is a truly global publication reaching more than 200 countries around the world.

The Economist's competition comes from The New Internationalist and The New Statesman. However these titles do not exactly provide the same content or editorial stance as The Economist. The New Internationalist was formed in the 1970s when the charities Oxfam and Christian Aid wanted to encourage people to learn more about development, its strapline is: 'the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for world development'. The New Statesman provides a similar theme of development, but from a left-wing point of view, which keeps "true to its heritage of radical politics" according to John Kampfner its editor in 2006. Neither of these titles however have circulations anywhere near The Economist, posting 75,000 and 23,000 respectively.

The Economist is in the process of a major subscription increasing marketing drive. 600,000 copies of a sampler edition are being handed out for free on the London Underground in an attempt to bring in new readers.

Maybe this is what I'm more suited to. As a straight twentysomething male I can't help but fall into the cliche of being obsessed with girls and gadgets. Well, I'm not obsessed with girls and gadgets, but I am a big fan of pretty girls and I do enjoy new technologies. Ah cock it, go on: I am a cliche.

Stuff provides more than the average titty magazine, as it actually has content about things. Shiny, expensive things. And the amount of sexy ladies in the magazine is kept to minimal levels. It seems to be more of an eye catching device. Yes feminists, us men are that stupid. Owned by the Haymarket group, which produces titles such as Autocar, Autosport, Autocar, Classic FM, F1 Racing, FourFourTwo, Gramophone, Practical Caravan and What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision, it's not exactly surprising that their expertise and focus lies in the technology as opposed to the softcore that Loaded, FHM et al provide. The Stuff is consumer electronics, gadgets and lifestyle products. From hi-fis to fast cars, computers, cameras and phones, through in depth features, product reviews and previews, Stuff promotes everything the modern man needs.

Stuff posts a circulation of 100,000 per month, which makes it the sixth highest men's monthly in the UK despite its niche focus. Stuff's biggest competitor in the market is T3, which provides the same mix of gadgets and goods with the occasional girl. T3 has a circulation circa 60,000 per month but has recently head hunted Stuff's former editor Michael Brook to catch up.

But which title will be best suited to me? And which will provide me with the best opportunity to develop and prove my journalistic skills? We'll find out when I come back from the interviews with either my tail between my legs of a grin like a Cheshire cat.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, would not have been bothered to find all that out by myself. I reckon you should get both, you'd be perfect.
    Bananas x

    ReplyDelete